Tuesday 7 January 2014

The Punks of the 21st Century

It's been a while since last post, mainly because I just haven't been too angry recently. But here's one thing that pisses me off nowadays: pop punk. Yeah, that's right, I'm going purist here. But what the fuck is up with pop punk? It makes no sense to me. That's not to say you're a bad person if you listen to it or anything, but it's just a total contradiction. I mean look at the definitions and ideologies of each:

Punk
  • Individualism
  • Separation from the trends that were rife within society
  • Generally anarchist/leftist views expressed in lyrics
  • Anti-corporation
  • Anti-authority
  • Anti-money
  • Anti-mainstream; challenged mainstream ideas
  • Placed fans above labels; continued playing cheap pub/club gigs during fame
Pop Punk
  • Feel-good power chord progressions
  • At the command of major labels
  • Relationship problems expressed in lyrics
  • Generic subject matter
  • Evident signs of wealth; dressed in expensive clothing, driving expensive cars, producing high-budget music videos
  • Play high-cost stadium gigs
  • Work with major corporations and occasionally the government
  • No elements of individualism or anything in the punk section
And so that's pretty much what pisses me off about pop punk. It's really just pop music with spiky hair, which has nothing to do in itself with punk. See, some might say, "you can't call pop punk out for all having a similar look with spiky hair and shit, because punk had the same thing". Fair point, but the thing is that in the days of punk, that was actually original. It was also varied. You had the liberty spikes, simply dyed hair, mohawks, skinheads, and just plain ordinary. now people just use some hair gel to spike up their fringe and wear a hundred-dollar trench coat, and suddenly they're punk. 

But that's not even the part that most shits me. It's the fans. The fucking fans. Like I said before, you're not a bad person to listen to pop punk. You know, preferential music, etc. But the general fanbase of pop punk bands make me want to go on a killing spree. I'm pretty much fine with the ones who say "I like pop punk". Then I just have that little "oh" moment, but I'm more or less cool with it. However, it's the ones that say "I love punk music". Fuck you. Fuck the fuck out of you. Just fuck off right now, you fucking piece of fuck. You are not a punk because you listen to a band created by a major record label purely to make money. You are not a punk because you bought the $200 piece of band merchandise from the label's website. You are not a punk because you had a green streak put in your hair by a swank salon. And you are not a fucking punk because you spit on old ladies. That's the other annoying part. People who try to be punks by dressing up in expensive "punk" clothes, and then being dicks to random people for no reason. It's fucking ridiculous.

In essence, anyone who likes pop punk because they think they're punk has missed the point of punk completely. Punk is pretty much dead.

Also, by pop punk, I mean bands such as Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Fall Out Boy, and pretty much every recent band with a three-word name (which is weird, because they're nothing to do with punk, I don't know why so many of their fans think they're listening to punk when they listen to that stuff. I guess it's the weird gap in the evolutionary line from hardcore punk to this.)

5 comments:

  1. hey m8, u forgot We The Kings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add Good Charlotte, I cut myself to them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get me started on the whole emo pop trend. And seriously, how does all of that get sifted into pop punk by so many people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ask me, I listen to Coldplay

    ReplyDelete